This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently.
There are a number of parent visa available:
- Contributory Parent Subclass 143 (Permanent) – this is a permanent visa which is generally processed within 18 months. Total cost for the application is over $40,000 per parent
- Contributory Parent Subclass 173 (Temporary)– this is a 2-year temporary visa which is about half the cost of the permanent contributory parent. Applicants would generally apply for a permanent contributory parent visa within the 2-year validity of the visa. The total cost of applying is approximately the same as a permanent contributory parent visa, but it is split over two visa applications.
- Parent visa (subclass 103) – this visa costs less than the Contributory visa but there can be long waiting times of up to 30 years.
- Meet the “balance of family test” – least half of your children must live in Australia or more of your children live in Australia than any other country.
- You must sponsored by a child who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The sponsor must be “settled” – generally the sponsor would need have been lawfully resident in Australia for at least 2 years.
- You must be able to obtain an Assurance of Support
- You must meet the health and character requirement